Welcome to the Everett Public Library. To create and promote an
atmosphere that allows all library patrons to use the library
facilities in a respectful and enjoyable manner the following
conduct is prohibited. Please speak with library staff if you feel
another patron is unreasonably interfering with your use and
enjoyment of the library.
The following behavior or conduct is prohibited:
- Engaging in any activity prohibited by law or
- Failing to comply with a reasonable staff request.
- Being under the influence of or selling, using, or possessing
alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Verbally or physically threatening, intimidating or harassing
other patrons, staff, or volunteers. Examples of this conduct
include, but are not limited to, carrying, exhibiting or
displaying any weapon apparently capable of producing bodily
harm in a manner or under circumstances that either manifest
an intent to intimidate another or that warrant alarm for the
safety of other persons, using offensive language, stalking,
staring, lurking, offensive touching, or other obscene acts.
- Stealing, damaging, altering, or misusing library property.
- Fighting or challenging to fight, running, pushing, shoving,
or throwing things.
- Creating disruptive noises such as loud talking, screaming,
or banging on computer keyboards.
- Using audible devices without headphones or with headphones
set at a volume that disturbs others.
- Using cell phones, pagers, and other communication devices
in a manner that disturbs others. Audible cell phone and pager
ringers must be turned off.
- Using restrooms for bathing, shampooing, doing laundry, or
- Smoking, chewing, and other tobacco use on library
property, including smoking within 25 feet of library entryways.
- Dressing inappropriately, such as not wearing shoes, a shirt
or having an offensive body odor.
- Eating food in the library; beverages with lids are
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage, or any other personal
items unattended. Unattended items are subject to confiscation.
- Using wheeled devices in the library or on library grounds,
such as skateboards, roller-skates, bicycles, and scooters
(except for ADA assistive devices such as wheelchairs and walkers
and library-sanctioned shopping carts).
- Lying down or sleeping within the library. Having feet on
furniture, or blocking aisles, exits, or entrances.
- Not providing proper supervision of children. See
Unattended Child Policy.
- Bringing pets or animals into the library, except certified
service animals necessary for disabilities or as authorized by
the library staff.
- Trespassing in nonpublic areas, being in the library without
permission of an authorized library employee before or after
library operating hours, or camping on library grounds.
- Bringing in articles that are too large or so numerous that
they block aisles or access to any part of the library, take up
extra seats, or pose a hazard to others.
- Soliciting or conducting surveys not authorized by the library.
- All briefcases, backpacks, shopping bags, tote bags, etc., are
subject to inspection by library staff.
Failure to comply with the established rules, regulations, and
policies, or with any reasonable request from staff, may result
in removal from the premises and exclusion from the library pursuant
to City Policy, or in arrest or prosecution. Violations may also result
in the restriction and/or termination of library privileges including,
but not limited to, the use of library computers and other equipment.